One of my friends reviewed his backpacking gear list from a recent adventure…here’s what he thought.
Here’s what the man says…
I just did an inventory of the items that I didn’t need to bring and it comes out to a whopping 17.3 pounds!!!! If I really put some more thought into other things and got some lighter weight gear (pack etc.) then I could probably trim around 20 pounds and still have a great time.
Here’s a summary of what made up the 17.3 pounds:
- Excess Food (6.5 lbs):
- Trip Tip (2.3 lbs). Could have brought other food source with same calories and much less weight. [This was extremely popular with the group though!]
- Excess dehydrated food packets.
- Shallots and Garlic
- Olive Oil
- Excess condiments
- Excess power bars
- Things I definitely didn’t need (6.4 lbs):
- Solar panel
- Extra sunglasses
- Candle Lantern
- Bear bell
- Toiletry Case (not the toiletries – just the case)
- Extra Long Johns
- Duct Tape
- Bungee Cord
- A 3rd shirt (2 is enough)
- Wife Beater
- 3rd pair of socks (this was actually an accident because my other socks were at the bottom of the pack and I didn’t want to keep you guys waiting while I unpacked everything)
- Items I’m on the fence about and may bring next time (4.4 lbs):
- National Geographic Magazine
- Extra fuel (white gas)
- Bather/BoardShorts (I only had one other pair of shorts/pants so would may bring this next time).
- Thermal Shirt
- Food bowl (I could really use my mug for all food and drink).
- Spare headlamp batteries
- Bug Spray (Deet)